The Music School “Kosta Manojlović” started its work on 1 September 1939, as a separate department of the Music School “Stanković” in Belgrade, in a three-room apartment in Svetosavska Street. From that time on until 1949, the school worked in very difficult conditions. The room where the courses were kept had often to be changed; there were neither the adequate instruments nor the library.
In 1949 the school received the status of a regular six-year, gratuitous schools, and since 1954 bears the name of Kosta Manojlović. Its further activity has decently represented our well-known musicologist, composer, founder and the first rector of the Music Academy in Belgrade.